Saturday, February 13, 2010

Some Random Thoughts About LA

Some thoughts I have right now about LA.

Why are people flaky? I've never lived in a place where so many people don't get back to you. And don't say I have the wrong friends because it is not just friends who don't respond to evites, it's also potential employers and doctors and other "professionals." I had a job interview and they never called me to tell me I didn't get the job. Just say no, people, no is an answer. Blowing me off and thinking that's a less hurtful rejection is just rude.

Why are your events so disorganized? I went to the inaugural Street Food Festival. It was supposed to start at 11. Well, not only did it not start on time, they didn't correctly estimate how many people would show up so there was a four block long line, I'm thinking at least two hours, of people waiting at 11. No signage, no one giving any sort of information whatsoever, just people standing in a line hoping to get in. I did the math, with 30 food trucks inside, I figured they would run out of food before I got in. Plus I was not about to make two toddlers wait in a two hour line. We bailed and ate in Koreatown at my sister's go to place Mapo Restaurant. It did not disappoint.

I've never heard of the following things till I got to LA--monkeybread, holding your kids back (on the East Coast, everyone tries to figure out how they can get into school early), that Wendy's is only for white people (this must make me white because I LOVE Wendy's and ate it probable 2x a week when pregnant with R), almond milk (Blue Diamond Almond Breeze tastes most like milk), crossing four lanes of the freeway at once, and my favorite, the Kogi truck. When is Kogi going to start paying me for these testimonials? Their website has been improved recently and now the schedule is much easier to decipher.

I'm sure I'll add to this list as I go but just wanted to get it out my head and into cyberspace. Please share your observations of LA oddity if you have them. Thanks!

1 comment:

heathergothitched said...

So far, I've been pretty lucky in the evite department, but I think it's because the invitee (wait, that's the person you send the invite to, right?) knows that the invitor (or is it inviter? anyhoos, I'm talkin' about ME) can see if they read the evite or not. So once you read it, it seems quite obvious that you put in yes, no or maybe! Now that you mention it, I do remember people just reading it and not even putting in a "maybe" response! Grrrrr...

Anyhoos, LA can be a weird place, but I just don't see myself leaving here because I'm just sooooooo used to the weather. I don't do sweltering hot (my makeup just slides off my face and that ain't a good look for me) and colder weather is nice, but not when you have little ones who can get sick... We're actually really lucky to live so close to the beach and have a nice ocean breeze, but when we feel like throwing snowballs at eat other, an hour and a half drive is all it takes!

Love always,
Heather

P.S. Maybe God doesn't want you to get a job so soon so we can have playdates? Hahahah!